Pages

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Blowing minds one breath at a time.

I'm getting started on the new year a bit early this year. Usually everyone waits until New Years Day to start putting their resolutions into practice, but I'm getting started on the new skills and traits early.

I've started taking a great new dance class called ElectroLock, which blends hip hop style (djs, graffiti, battling, b-boys, etc.) with electronic music and classic "rave" dancing. It's all about having complete control over every muscle in your body - no easy feat when you start off. After half an hour of working on the classic arm wave, my shoulders were ready to fall off. But I'm hoping it will pay off in the long run with a more diverse repertoire, and something cooler to do out at dance clubs than grinding or slow dancing.


This video showcases my fabulous ElectroLock teacher dancing to a new favorite band of mine, Pretty Lights. All of their music is available for free on their website, so if you're a fan of electro funk remixes, check it out.

Another band I JUST discovered today (yeah, a bit behind the curve): Hadouken! Grimy sick Leeds dubstep and rave elements combined with rap vocals and pop sensibilities. You can get one original track and two remixes here.

Rocking HARD,
K

PS: For anyone who follows me on Twitter (or speaks to me in person, anymore), I use a phrase in times like these: "[suchandsuch] kicks rocks." That originates from the Cowboy Bebop remix album Music For Freelance, where the pirate radio dj host Mr. Martian has this to say:
"Anybody out there remember the name Seatbelts? They were a maximal band from 30 years ago...all we know is that a woman named Yoko [Producer and composer Yoko Kanno] wrote all the tracks...all I know is she wrote music that KICKS ROCKS, and this is one guy who'll play even a boho's tune if it moves the 'little Martian', if you know what I mean..."

No comments:

Post a Comment